Tell us what you think of the new cricket section at whatdoyouthink@bskyb.com

Don't show again

Sehwag critical of Sri Lanka

India opener unhappy after no-ball left him on 99 not out

Sehwag: denied ton

Loading Market ...

Cricket Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Virender Sehwag has accused Sri Lanka of unsporting behaviour after he missed out on a century when a no-ball handed India a six-wicket triangular series victory on August 16.

SKY SPORTS ON SKY From football to fishing and everything in between, including cricket, rugby, golf and tennis - there's some amazing coverage coming up on the five Sky Sports channels. Plus, with the launch of Sky Sports News HD this summer, all five channels will soon be available in stunning high definition, only with Sky. Click here for more

"They (Sri Lanka) should have shown sportsman's spirit. It was done deliberately. If there is a player on 99, it does not mean you bowl a no-ball, give away four byes. That has no place in cricket."

Virender Sehwag

Quotes of the week

Off-spinner Suraj Randiv overstepped when the scores were level, meaning Sehwag's six off that delivery was not added to his score, leaving the opener stranded on 99 not out as India reached their target of 171 with the run accrued through the no-ball.

The India batsman believes Sri Lanka's players "deliberately" denied him his 13th ODI hundred and also pointed to the four byes "given away" by Randiv when he was on 99.

"They (Sri Lanka) should have shown sportsman's spirit," Sehwag said.

"It was done deliberately. If there is a player on 99, it does not mean you bowl a no-ball, give away four byes. That has no place in cricket."

Instruction

The 31-year-old also pointed a finger at Sri Lanka skipper Kumar Sangakkara, claiming the bowler may have been following the instruction of his captain.

"I don't know what happened, but something must have been said to the bowler by either the captain or the seniors," Sehwag added.

Sangakkara said he was not aware if Randiv bowled the no-ball deliberately, but maintained there is no room for such incidents in the game.

"If that was intentional that has got no place on the field of cricket. If it is deliberate I will have to have a chat with him and make sure things like that don't happen again," he said.

"Suraj is a nice guy, I hope it's not deliberate. Maybe he was trying to bowl the doosra, get some bounce."

Responding to allegations by Sehwag that Randiv may have been acting under the instruction of his team-mates, Sangakkara added: "I will also have to see if there was any talk about it on the field prior to that delivery."

Sehwag later sought to put the incident behind him, writing on Twitter: "Guys, Randiv came to my room last night and apologised."

The Sri Lanka Cricket Board also offered an apology to the Indian team following the incident.

"In the morning, (SLC secretary Nishantha) Ranatunga called me up personally and apologised on behalf of the board for the Sehwag incident," India manager Ranjib Biswal said.

"He said this was not in the spirit of the game."

Internal inquiry

SLC subsequently released a statement voicing their concern over the incident and pledging to look into the matter.

"We are perturbed and disconcerted by the news reports which indicate that Virender Sehwag had been deliberately deprived of a reaching a century by Suraj Randiv bowling a no-ball in the last over," it read.

"Sri Lanka Cricket, being winners of the 'ICC Spirit of the game' award for two consecutive years, is extremely proud of its team and their achievements and conduct both on and off the field.

"As such, it is necessary to clear the good name of Sri Lanka Cricket and Sri Lanka as a sporting nation on a priority basis.

"In this endeavour, Sri Lanka cricket officials have requested the Sri Lanka national team manager, Mr Anura Tennekoon, to conduct an immediate internal inquiry and forward a comprehensive report in this regard, where action will be taken accordingly."