WBA orders Khan rematch
Dethroned champ plans to 'take care of business' in rematch
Last Updated: 14/01/12 2:07pm
Amir Khan: Will get the chance to fight Lamont Peterson again
Amir Khan said justice had been done after being granted an "immediate rematch" with Lamont Peterson by the WBA following his controversial loss.
Khan lost a spilt decision - as well as his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles - to the American in Washington in December.
However, the fight was mired in controversy with Khan docked two points for pushing by referee Joe Cooper, while a "mystery man" - later identified to be Mustafa Ameen - was seen at ringside appearing to handle the scorecards.
"I'm pleased that justice has been done and the WBA has ordered an immediate rematch."
Amir Khan Quotes of the week
Khan also claims he was told he had won the fight only for Peterson to be awarded the decision after a long wait for the result.
Khan's promotional team Golden Boy had appealed the decision to both the WBA and IBF - wanting the bout to be declared a "no-contest" and for a rematch to be ordered.
The WBA have made the first move by agreeing to a rematch, while the IBF - to whom Ameen is affiliated - will make a decision next week.
"Peterson's split-decision victory over Khan in Washington DC has been riddled with controversy as a result of a plethora of anomalies in connection with the bout," a statement read.
"Acting under its authority pursuant to WBA Rule C.26, the WBA concluded that the bout's outcome was impacted by referee Joseph Cooper's questionable failure to credit Khan with a knockdown in round one and his questionable decisions to deduct points from Khan in rounds seven and 12.
"As further cause to order the rematch, the WBA also pointed to Mr Ameen's apparent intrusion into the scoring process as well as possible discrepancies between the score sheets of the two sanctioning organizations and the local athletic commission.
"In its resolution mandating the rematch, the WBA went out of its way to note that, under normal circumstances, it would not disturb the discretionary function of a referee.
"However, in this case, because of the multiple irregularities, it was necessary for it to order the rematch."
Khan said the WBA was right to order the rematch after the 'injustice' of the first encounter.
"I'm pleased that justice has been done and the WBA has ordered an immediate rematch," he said. "All we ask as sportsmen is for a fair and level playing field when we compete.
"Lamont Peterson proved in our fight that he is a great competitor and I hope that a second bout will be just as exciting.
"I want to prove without doubt that I'm the best in the 140lb division by taking care of business in the rematch."
Khan was unimpressed with the accusations of being a bad loser coming from Peterson's camp.
He told Sky Sports News: "I think deep down he knows he lost that fight. I think he knows if he fights me again he'll get beaten.
"That's the reason they're digging out these little excuses that I'm a sore loser - if he really thinks I'm a sore loser, come and do it again.
"If they think they can beat me properly then let's have it again because I know next time I fight him it's not going to go the full distance. I will knock him out."
An official hearing into the muddled scenes during and after the fight will take place on January 18, when, amongst others, Ameen will be asked to state his case.