Matthew Macklin says experience will see him beat Gennady Golovkin
Last Updated: 27/06/13 7:06pm
Gennady Golovkin may be the unbeaten world middleweight champion, but Matthew Macklin says he still has much to prove in professional boxing.
The duo are set to clash for the WBA and IBO titles in Connecticut on June 29, live on Sky Sports, with the British battler looking to claim his first world title after missing out against both Felix Sturm and Sergio Martínez.
Kazakh star Golovkin enjoyed a sensational amateur career, finishing with a remarkable record of 345-5, and is yet to taste defeat in his 26 professional fights.
But Macklin believes he still hasn't fought a high enough calibre of opponent to prepare him for next weekend's showdown.
"This isn't the amateurs any more," he told Ringside. "This is the pros and as a professional he's not that experienced, although he's the world champion and it sounds funny to say that.
"Golovkin stayed amateur until he was 24 or 25; I was having wars with Jamie Moore at that time!"
"There are certain situations and scenarios you have to go through in your career and a lot of those he hasn't been through yet.
"It's going to be tough, but every fighter's got strengths and weaknesses. His weaknesses haven't really been exploited as such so far, but if you look at the people he's fought I wouldn't expect them to have been exploited yet.
"He's fought a lot of light-middleweights and a lot of them not necessarily top-10 light-middles in the world.
"A lot of the hype is coming from what he did in the amateurs. He knocked out Lucian Bute and beat the 'Who's Who' of the amateurs. But he did stay amateur until he was 24 or 25; I was having wars with Jamie Moore at that time!
"As much as he has that great amateur pedigree, he stayed amateur a long time. I turned pro at 18, so it's different."
Golovkin has won 23 of his 26 fights by knockout and is being talked about as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the game.
But Macklin insists his experience in the professional ranks, combined with his explosive punch power, will see him claim the belts next Saturday.
He added: "I feel I'm a more experienced fighter, a better fighter and I'm looking to use that experience on the night.
"He hasn't been in with a proper middleweight, certainly not one that's anywhere near my ability.
"Everyone is saying what a big knock-out ratio he has; the biggest of any of the world champions at the moment and any of the middleweight champions in the history of boxing. He's 26-0 with 23 knockouts.
"But I've got 20 knockouts in 29 victories also and I've fought better opposition. I've had some pretty spectacular knockouts in my career as well so we'll see what he says when he gets hit on the chin by me.
"I always felt when I turned pro I had the capability and ability to go all the way and become a world champion.
"I thought I had done against Sturm, but it wasn't to be and I came up short against Martínez, but it had been a very competitive fight that ebbed and flowed and I pushed him all the way. Hopefully this time it's third time lucky.
"I've prepared well, I'm ready and I think all the little set-backs and the experience I've gained from the last couple of fights have made me a better and more experienced fighter.
"I'm ready to seize the opportunity this time."