Boxing: Ricky Burns says he will prepare thoroughly for his bout with Terence Crawford
Last Updated: 28/01/14 6:15pm
Ricky Burns is due to take on Terence Crawford on March 1
Ricky Burns says he plans to do plenty of homework on Terence Crawford before the pair meet in a WBO lightweight title fight in Glasgow on 1 March.
Burns has previously been reluctant to study upcoming opponents but says he will change his ways to ensure he is fully prepared for the 26-year-old American, who is unbeaten after 22 fights.
This will be Burns' first bout since he fought through the pain of a broken jaw to earn a controversial draw with Ray Beltran of Mexico last September, and he says he is wary of Crawford.
"This is the first time that I am going to be watching my opponent," said Burns.
"As an amateur I used to take my kit to every show and, if somebody pulled out or didn't make the weight, I was always willing to step in.
"You didn't know much about the guys you were fighting and you tried to suss them out in the first couple of rounds. I took that into the professional game.
"But I have a DVD (of Crawford) sitting in the house and I am going to watch it. I will maybe watch a couple of his fights and give the DVD back to Billy Nelson (Burns' trainer).
"Beltran and Crawford are two totally different types of fighter.Beltran comes forward and tries to drag you into a fight whereas Terence Crawford is more of a boxer. He is very slick and he switch-hits.
"He is very good at what he does."
Burns added that any concerns about his jaw have been dispelled during his sparring sessions.
"It has taken a few punches and it seems to have held up, so let's hope there are no accidents," he said.
"The first day I sparred it was with David Brophy and I told him I didn't want any holding back.
"I told him if it was going to happen, it was going to happen, and I would rather it happened in the gym than in the ring."