Ricky Burns believes Terence Crawford is more dangerous than Raymundo Beltran

Last Updated: 14/01/14 3:20pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Ricky Burns believes Terence Crawford could be a more dangerous foe than Raymundo Beltran, who pushed him to the limit in a controversial draw.

The Coatbridge man clung on to his WBO lightweight belt after the judges could not separate the two fighters, despite Beltran flooring Burns in Glasgow last September.

"I feel this is a much tougher fight for me. Stylistically he's very, very good and fingers crossed I can go out there and get the win, but we're expecting a hard nights work."
Ricky Burns

Burns sustained a broken jaw in that contest and was clearly in agony as he bravely held the Mexican at bay.

A rematch with Beltran was the champion's choice, but the WBO ordered him to face Crawford, his mandatory challenger, and Burns will instead battle the American on March 1, live on Sky Sports.

Crawford is unbeaten in 22 fights, including a win over Amir Khan's conqueror Breidis Prescott, and Burns feels he could be a class above Beltran.

"It's going to be a very difficult fight for me," he told Sky Sports News.

"He's 22 fights undefeated. Everybody has been saying he's the next big star at lightweight, so just under seven weeks to go now and I'm going to find out myself.

"Training has been going ideal, so whatever happens on the night, I'm going to be prepared for it as always.

"After the last fight, I think everybody knew and I think the right thing to do was give Beltran the rematch, but the WBO, there was no way getting around this. I have to box Terence Crawford or get stripped of my title.

"But I feel this is a much tougher fight for me. Stylistically he's very very good and fingers crossed I can go out there and get the win, but we're expecting a hard nights work."

Fears

Fears were raised that Burns could be forced to retire due to the serious nature of his jaw injury, but he was cleared to continue his career after undergoing surgery.

He has recently started sparring again and is confident he can withstand more punishment.

"The injury is healing up nicely now. We started sparring last week, but we've been in full training for the last six weeks," he said.

"The countdown is on, there's under seven weeks to go, so I cannot wait to get back through those ropes now.

"I still don't know myself how I managed to get through the fight.

"The surgeon who did the operation said it was stupidity for carrying on, but being a fighter that's just the way that we are.

"The jaw is ready to go, the bone has knitted back together nicely. I was at the hospital a few weeks ago, we had it x-rayed again, just to be on the safe side. Everything is looking fine with it."

  • Share:

Related

Burns v Crawford

Terence Crawford is raised aloft after clinching the WBO lightweight title (Pic Lawrence Lustig)

Burns v Crawford - March 1st

A look back in pictures on the action in Glasgow

Not done yet

Glenn McCrory thinks Ricky Burns' experience could ensure he wins a world title for a third time.

Terence Crawford and his team celebrate after the verdict is read out

Burns: The better man won

Ricky Burns admitted that the better fighter won after losing his WBO world lightweight title to Terence Crawford.

Most Popular

Features

Fight Night Live

Fight Night Live

Tony Bellew, Nathan Cleverly, Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell on Saturday's packed card.

Toe 2 Toe podcast

Toe 2 Toe podcast

Hear exclusive interviews from George Groves, Paddy Fitzpatrick, Brian Rose, Frank Warren and more.

Team England

Team England

We catch up with Team England ahead of this year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.