Martin Murray will face Jarrod Fletcher for the vacant WBA middleweight title
Martin Murray will fight Jarrod Fletcher for the vacant WBA middleweight title in Monte Carlo on February 1.
Last Updated: 18/12/13 5:45pm
The belt became available when the WBA elevated their current holder of the title, Gennady Golovkin, to 'super-champion' status.
It means Murray will enter the ring against the 30-year-old Australian as a hot favourite to win a world title at the third attempt, following unlucky decisions against Felix Sturm (draw) and Sergio Martinez (narrow points loss).
Murray told Sky Sports he is looking forward to a big year in 2014.
"I wasn't really up for the fight last week, but the most important thing to do was get the win," he said of his points victory over Sergey Khomitsky in London.
"I'm just looking forward to having a good year next year, winning a world title and turning all those frustrations into a positive."
Fletcher was dropped and stopped by British and Commonwealth champion Billy Joe Saunders inside two rounds just over a year ago, but has since put together five straight wins.
"Jarrod Fletcher is a good kid," Murray added. "I've not seen too much of him, but we'll be working on that now we've got a date. He's got a good pedigree and he beat James DeGale in the amateurs, which isn't easy and proves he's a good fighter.
"He's going to be well up for this, but I think I'll be the favourite and rightly so, given who I've fought before and how I've done against them.
"It's going to be interesting for both of us, but I want everyone to know that there's no way I'm coming home to St Helens without that world title."
On the same show in Monte Carlo, Golovkin will defend his 'super' title against American-based Ghanaian Osumanu Adama.