Martin Murray will fight on the big Manchester show after his Australia trip fell through

Last Updated: 07/11/13 12:35pm

  • Share:
Martin Murray: Added to Manchester show after fight fell through

Martin Murray: Added to Manchester show after fight fell through

Sky Bet

Martin Murray has been added to the big November 23 show in Manchester, live on Sky Sports Box Office, after his fight with Garth Wood in Australia fell through.

The St Helens middleweight remains the interim champion with the WBA and is on collision course to fight 'regular' titlist Gennady Golovkin next year.

The fight with Wood in December was meant to cement that position but was pulled when the high-profile clash between Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley was re-scheduled for November 27.

That fight had been due to take place last month but Mosley pulled out at the last minute following a breach of contract after promoters were unable to guarantee his purse.

However, that cash has apparently now been found and Wood admitted it would be unfair on the Australian public to expect them to shell out to watch he and Murray two weeks later.

"People are fed up with the fight game," Wood told the Sydney Daily Telegraph. "That's what we hoped to change. We weren't bringing a fighter who is on the way out to Sydney. We were bringing a genuine world champion; a guy ranked No.1 for a reason.

"But to do that, it was going to cost my backers $800,000 ... I can't ask people to outlay that sort of money if we're going to be made to follow a circus.

"I've been living under a rock for a year in preparation for this. Sparred over 500 rounds. It's incredibly frustrating to a get a genuine fight and have this happen."

Murray's training camp will not go to waste though after Matchroom's Eddie Hearn stepped in to add him to the packed Manchester show on behalf of the fighter's promoter Ricky Hatton.

  • Share:

Related

Froch v Groves

It's on... again: it will happen says Johnny Nelson but it is not sure that it gets any easier for Groves

Cashing out?

Johnny Nelson wonders if the IBF rematch ruling has done George Groves any financial favours.

Groves: Adamant talks over Froch fight will continue

IBF demand Froch-Groves II

The IBF have ordered super-middleweight champion Carl Froch to face George Groves in the next 90 days.

Froch: looking at options for next opponent

Froch dismisses rematch

Carl Froch all but dismissed the idea of going 'over old ground' in a rematch with George Groves.

Most Popular

Features

NOW TV  picks

NOW TV picks

Watch pound-for-pound stars Gennady Golovkin and Nonito Donaire without a contract, with NOW TV.

Kid Galahad aiming for the top

Kid Galahad aiming for the top

Barry ‘Kid Galahad’ Awad is the latest fighter from the Ingle Gym to win the Boxing Writers' Young Boxer of the Year

Toe 2 Toe podcast

Toe 2 Toe podcast

We hear from heavyweight hope Anthony Joshua, as well as Kid Galahad, Eddie Hearn and more.