World Amateur Boxing Championships: Injured Anthony Fowler pulls out of semi-final
Last Updated: 25/10/13 5:10pm
Anthony Fowler: Will not get a chance to go for gold at the World Championships
British middleweight Anthony Fowler has been forced to withdraw from his World Championship semi-final due to a hand injury.
Fowler had been due to take on the home favourite Zhanibek Alimkhanulyon on Friday afternoon in the Kazakh city of Almaty, with a place in the gold medal bout at stake.
But the Liverpool fighter injured his hand during his last-eight win over Stefan Haertel and was unable to continue in the competition.
Fowler, who only recently returned from a different injury to the same hand, was pulled out after extensive discussions between GB coaches and the medical team, and will have to settle for a bronze medal.
Fowler said: "I am absolutely gutted I cannot compete today as I have been boxing really well and feel I could go all the way, however the coaches and medical team have told me it is not safe to continue."
There will be no British representation in the finals after Andrew Selby dropped a tight split decision to Uzbekistan's Jasurbek Latipov in their flyweight semi-final.
Ireland's Joe Ward was outclassed in his light-heavyweight semi-final by Cuba's defending champion Julio De La Cruz, who won every round on all three of the judges' scorecards.