Frank Maloney admits David Price camp is in shock following second defeat
Last Updated: July 7, 2013 10:02am
Frank Maloney admits David Price will have to drop down a division to get his career back on track
David Price's promoter Frank Maloney has admitted the camp is in shock following his second successive defeat to Tony Thompson on Saturday night.
The stage was set for the 30-year-old Liverpudlian to avenge his first professional defeat in February to the American when the pair met again at the Echo Arena.
However, despite knocking down the 41-year-old in the second round Thompson proved his first success earlier this year was no fluke with a flurry of unanswered punches to end the contest in round five.
Price not quitting
Price had commanded a 15-0 record with 13 knockouts prior to his two bouts with Thompson and now Maloney admits his fighter needs to drop down to domestic level is order to get things back on track.
"We've dropped out of the Premier League and we have to drop down to domestic and European level," Maloney told BoxNation.
"We are all in shock and we will have to sit down and talk about what we do next. If David wants to go on, I'll stay loyal. If he doesn't, I may call it a day."
"We are all in shock and we will have to sit down and talk about what we do next. If David wants to go on, I'll stay loyal."
Maloney on Price
Thompson is targeting a clash against Tyson Fury following his emphatic success over Price, stating he feels very much at home in England.
"I want another world title shot," said the American. If I can't get that straight away then I would love to fight Mancunian Tyson Fury. I want to make England my second home."
Thompson felt Price was more technical in their re-match, however, he was always confident he would be able to gain the victory by sticking with his game plan.
"It was a knockdown and a good punch but I was okay, I was listening to the count and got up when I wanted to. He started more technically this time but everybody can be technical until they get hit."