Ricky Burns will defend his WBO lightweight title against Raymundo Beltran on September 7

Last Updated: 27/06/13 2:35pm

  • Share:
Ricky Burns: Will make the fourth defence of his WBO belt against Raymundo Beltran

Ricky Burns: Will make the fourth defence of his WBO belt against Raymundo Beltran

Sky Bet

Ricky Burns will make the fourth defence of his WBO lightweight title against Mexican Raymondo Beltran in Glasgow on September 7.

The Scot will return to the SECC after his thrilling victory over Jose Gonzalez in May, when the Puerto Rican quit despite being ahead on all three scorecards after nine rounds.

"It was a tricky night against José but I got myself through it like a true champion does and I will be looking to step up a gear against Beltran."
Ricky Burns

Burns will make a voluntary defence against Beltran, who is No 8 in the WBO rankings and has won his last three fights on points.

According to promoter Eddie Hearn, American broadaster HBO are lining up a big fight against unbeaten prospect Terence Crawford for Burns early next year.

"I'm excited about the fight," Hearn told Sky Sports. "Anyone who doesn't know Beltran, look him up on youtube. He's an all-action fighter getting his first shot at a world title.

"We did the deal last week with Bob Arum and HBO are looking to show the fight. They are looking for Ricky to potentially to fight Crawford in New York in January."

Burns said he is looking forward another big night in his home nation.

"It's great to be back out again in Glasgow and against another tough opponent," said Burns.

"It was a tricky night against José but I got myself through it like a true champion does and I will be looking to step up a gear against Beltran, who I know will be coming to Scotland full of confidence, so it should be another great night in Glasgow.

"Raymundo is coming over to cause an upset and take the title - and it's a chance he has earned. But there will be no mistakes from me on the night and you'll see the best of me in there."

Opportunity

Beltran may have lost six times in a 34-fight career but is confident he can make the most of his big chance.

"I have been waiting for this opportunity for a long time," said Beltran. "I have been on the wrong side of some close decisions but I have never quit on myself or my goal to be world champion.

"I will prepare for a long night and a hard fight. He is the champion so he won't give it to me I have to take it from him. I am not flying across the ocean to just show up.

"He's going to know that he's in a war and he's going to know this was no tune up or stay busy fight for him. I have never fought easy fights. Whatever it takes to win - knock out, points, it will be definitive for me so no one can question that I deserve to be the champion."

Hearn revealed that John Simpson, Stephen Simmons, Scotty Cardle and David Brophy would all be in action on the undercard.

  • Share:

Post Comment

*All fields required, your email address will be kept private

Related

Burns v Beltran

Ricky Burns suffered a broken jaw during his controversial draw with Raymundo Beltran

Burns faces anxious wait

Ricky Burns faces a nervous wait to see if he will be able to fight again after surgery on his broken jaw.

Second Shout

Jim Watt says Ray Beltran was "mugged" out of the WBO strap and may now never win a world title.

Ricky Burns (right): A gruelling fight against the lively Mexican

Career doubt for injured Burns

The career of Ricky Burns hangs in the balance after he underwent jaw surgery following his fight with Ray Beltran.

Most Popular

Features

Fight Night Live

Fight Night Live

Tony Bellew, Nathan Cleverly, Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell on Saturday's packed card.

Toe 2 Toe podcast

Toe 2 Toe podcast

Hear exclusive interviews from George Groves, Paddy Fitzpatrick, Brian Rose, Frank Warren and more.

Team England

Team England

We catch up with Team England ahead of this year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.