Carl Froch confident of avenging Mikkel Kessler defeat in spring as talks advance
Last Updated: December 18, 2012 3:07pm
Mikkel Kessler celebrates victory over Carl Froch in Copenhagen in April 2010
Carl Froch expects a rematch with Mikkel Kessler to happen in May or June next year.
The IBF super-middleweight champion has made it his immediate priority to avenge a 2010 defeat by the Dane - one of just two blemishes on his professional record.
Froch doubts whether Lucian Bute, the Canada-based Romanian he brutally deposed in May, is interested taking up an option for a second fight and talks with the Kessler camp are already at an advanced stage.
The Nottingham fighter told Sky Sports' Toe2Toe podcast: "We're making good ground with Kessler's team. They're saying all the right things about wanting to fight and wanting to come over to the UK.
"Ideally I'd want it at Nottingham Forest's City Ground on the pitch, but realistically it's going to be very difficult to time it and I'm not sure he'd come to Nottingham anyway.
"But it's looking more likely that the fight with Kessler is definitely going to happen in May or June, it's just where.
"I've got a feeling it's going to be at the O2 in London - and what a fight that's going to be. I'm confident I'm going to win but it's a fight that could go either way. Everybody's talking about it, it's massive.
"Eddie Hearn and (Kessler's promoters) Sauerland are doing everything to make it happen. There's only one reason it won't and that's if Kessler doesn't want it, but i spoke to him myself last week and he said he does."