Darren Barker says he feels ready to re-invigorate his world title ambitions
Last Updated: 05/12/12 6:33pm
Darren Barker (l): Is targeting another world title shot
Darren Barker is hoping that this weekend's fight against Kerry Hope will act as another step towards a world title fight in 2013.
The English middleweight missed out on winning the WBC crown in Atlantic City in October 2011 when he was knocked-out by Sergio Martinez in the 11th.
Since then injuries have denied him the chance of winning the WBO version and the 30-year-old even admitted he thought about retiring from boxing altogether.
On Saturday he faces Hope at Olympia in London, a fight which will be screened by Sky Sports 1.
And Barker told worldboxingnews.net: "I think consciously I probably had made that decision that enough was enough.
"I don't think it was the physical aspect of things. But I managed to get myself out of that horrible hole I was in and not make a rash decision.
"I have been boxing for 18 years now and I think I have a really good boxing brain. I am training with a smile on my face, as hard as it is, and I am enjoying the sport again and looking to take on the world, get back up there.
"I am training with a smile on my face, as hard as it is, and I am enjoying the sport again and looking to take on the world."
"I took on the best in the world and came up a little bit short but I am looking to get back up there.
"It was more mentally than physically. It is never nice getting injured but I think the mental state can affect you more when you put your body through so much and not get an end product.
"I sat down and took time to make the right decision, which I feel I have done. I am feeling better than ever and I am ready to get back to where I left off and fight for World titles."