Kell Brook was offered a fight with Timothy Bradley after beating Carson Jones in July
Last Updated: October 10, 2012 11:56am
Kell Brook and Eddie Hearn will not be derailed in bid to earn mandatory status
Kell Brook has said he rejected a fight with Timothy Bradley in favour of earning mandatory status with the IBF.
Bradley currently holds the WBO version of the welterweight crown after a contentious points victory over Manny Pacquiao earlier this year.
The American is still searching for an opponent for his first defence in December but it will not be against the 'Special One', who takes on Hector Saldivia in a final eliminator for the IBF belt.
"Providing I beat Saldivia, I'll be fighting for a world title at the start of 2013 and it will be on my terms."
Brook defeated Carson Jones in July, after which he was offered a date with Bradley, but nothing was going to derail him from his current mission.
"The Bradley fight was put in front of me but I believe the mandatory position in the IBF is the right move," said Brook, who is back in Sheffield after a two week training camp in Spain.
"Eddie (Hearn) has worked hard to get me into this position and providing I beat Saldivia, I'll be fighting for a world title at the start of 2013 and it will be on my terms.
"I would love that to be in Sheffield too and I know Eddie would do his best to get it here as it would be an amazing event.
"I will also be watching Ricky Hatton's comeback with great interest as a fight against him next year would be an absolute blockbuster for British boxing."
Hearn added: "Top Rank contacted me in August and made us an offer for the Bradley fight. It was a nice ego boost for Kell to be offered a fight of such magnitude but we begun this journey with a goal of becoming a mandatory challenger and now we are just one win away."
Brook takes on Saldivia as the headline act of Betfair's 'This Is It' show at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield, live on Sky Sports HD.