Burns stops Mitchell in four

20 wins in a row for Scottish superstar

Last Updated: 22/09/12 11:31pm

  • Share:
Ricky Burns drives Kevin Mitchell back onto the ropes

Ricky Burns drives Kevin Mitchell back onto the ropes

Sky Bet

Ricky Burns defended his WBO lightweight belt for the second time in sensational style as he stopped Kevin Mitchell in the fourth round at the SECC in Glasgow.

The man from Coatbridge was at his most impressive in front of his home fans as he made it 20 wins in a row against the Dagenham fighter, who was sent crashing to the canvas twice before referee Terry O'Connor stepped in to prevent further punishment.

Mitchell, the former British and Commonwealth super-featherweight champion, admitted defeat would force him to consider hanging up his gloves and Burns, with this superb performance, may well have confirmed that decision.

By contrast, the 29-year-old Scotsman arguably put in the best performance of his career and looks like he is ready to mix it with the best at this weight.

Amid the din generated by a huge and partisan crowd, which at times was deafening, Burns, the two-weight world champion, took control of the centre of the ring and looked confident and positive.

Both fighters traded punches, and good punches, to the delight of the fans with the Scot getting the cheers when the first round ended, as his supporters sensed something special was about to unfold.

Strong and forceful, the champion had Mitchell up against the ropes a couple of times in the second round and one right hand in particular appeared to rock the challenger to his toes.


Burns looked too powerful, especially when he sent in thumping right hands which brought the crowd to the boil and his combinations invariably had the Englishman back-tracking.

Mitchell, slowly sapped of belief and energy, found it all too much in round four.

He was battered to the ground with a left and right combination from Burns and when he recovered he was down again with a thunderous right.

Burns moved in to finish the contest off with a barrage of blows which brought O'Connor's intervention and which signalled a huge roar from the home fans.

  • Share: