Chisora suspended by WBC

Heavyweight hit with "serious fine" and removed from rankings

Last Updated: 29/02/12 4:05pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Dereck Chisora has been banned indefinitely by the World Boxing Council following his conduct before and after his title fight against Vitali Klitschko.

The British heavyweight failed in his bid to take the WBC belt from defending champion Klitschko in Munich on February 18.

"The WBC will also take off from the WBC rankings the name of Dereck Chisora and declare an indefinite suspension against fighting again for a WBC title, while demanding Chisora to take an anger management medical treatment after which his suspension will be reconsidered."
WBC statement Quotes of the week

In the post-fight press conference Chisora became embroiled in a brawl with British rival David Haye, though he was released without charge after being questioned by German police.

The 28-year-old had already courted controversy before the bout by slapping his Ukrainian opponent at the weigh-in. He then spat water at Klitschko's brother Wladimir ahead of the opening bell at the Olympiahalle.

In a statement the WBC declared Chisora had committed "one of the worst behaviours ever by a professional boxer" and said the suspension would not be reconsidered until he had undertaken anger management classes.

He has also been hit with a "serious fine", which will be determined later at a hearing, and immediately removed from the WBC's rankings.

Condemnation

"The WBC is absolutely condemning the behaviours that are not to be accepted in boxing under any circumstances and will act as soon as it can proceed to impose the fines and sanctions as we consider necessary," the statement read.

"The WBC is imposing a serious fine to be finally determined after the hearing.

"The WBC will also take off from the WBC rankings the name of Dereck Chisora and declare an indefinite suspension against fighting again for a WBC title, while demanding Chisora to take an anger management medical treatment after which his suspension will be reconsidered."

The WBC statement made no mention of Haye, who is currently unlicensed after announcing his retirement towards the end of last year. The former WBA champion left Germany after the altercation and is still wanted for questioning.

Chisora has been summoned to appear before a British Boxing Board of Control hearing on March 14.

  • Share:

Related

Chisora v Haye brawl

Frank Warren: Blasted WBC over decision to ban Dereck Chisora

Warren blasts WBC over ban

Promoter Frank Warren blasted the WBC for banning Dereck Chisora indefinitely without going through a full disciplinary process.

Adam Booth: has not yet heard from German police, but would be willing to speak to them

Booth - A shame for the sport

Adam Booth has laughed off the suggestion that the brawl between David Haye and Dereck Chisora was just a publicity stunt.

David Haye: Became embroiled in an ugly brawl with Dereck Chisora in Munich

Haye happy to assist authorities

David Haye says he would "happily assist the boxing authorities with any investigation they wish to launch" following the Munich brawl.

Most Popular

Features

Quigg  craves big bouts

Quigg craves big bouts

Scott Quigg is still hungry for huge fights after another foe pulled out as he prepares to defend his world title.

Heavyweight Hopes

Heavyweight Hopes

Sign in to watch our up close and personal documentary with British star Anthony Joshua.

Amir's longest fight

Amir's longest fight

Amir Khan has been called-out by Kell Brook but is already taking on a bigger battle with his new charity.