Khan 'very close' to rematch
Bolton boxer to move up a division if Peterson doesn't sign soon
Last Updated: 09/02/12 10:52pm
Amir Khan told Sky Sports NewsHD he has offered Lamont Peterson a "massive deal" to fight him again - but he's still waiting for a response.
"The contract has been signed from my side. I've sent them off to Lamont Peterson and his team. Hopefully he can sign it, then we can get the fight on."
Amir Khan Quotes of the week
Peterson took the WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles in controversial circumstances in the first meeting of the pair on December 10 in Washington, with his opponent twice deducted a point by referee Joseph Cooper, who also opted not to score an early knockdown in Khan's favour, for pushing.
The 25-year-old appealed against the outcome and the WBA confirmed in January that they wanted their new champion to defend the belt against the Brit.
The saga continued when Peterson lodged "a comprehensive written appeal" against the WBA's decision, though Khan is optimistic he will get a chance to avenge just the second loss of his professional career.
"We're very close now," he said. "We put an appeal in because we wanted a rematch, we felt we deserved a rematch because in the fight there was so much going on.
"We're literally now 99 per cent there.
"The contract has been signed from my side. I've sent them off to Lamont Peterson and his team. Hopefully he can sign it, then we can get the fight on.
"It was a great fight - and I'm not taking anything away from Lamont Peterson, he's a great fighter - but I think I deserve a rematch."
Khan, however, insists he will not wait around forever for Peterson, who he believes is not keen to face him again. His alternative plan is to move up a division, with several potential opponents already identified.
"We sent them (the contracts) off a long time ago," he added.
"I think the reason (over the delay) is because he knows he would get beaten. He wants to probably hold on to the titles and have a few more defences to make a bit more money.
"But the deal that we have offered him...we've offered him a massive deal, but he's not responded back.
"If they don't want to take the fight then I will just move on. I'll probably move up a division at 147lbs. There are a few names we're looking at there.
"I'm not going to be waiting too long because I want to stay active. I think the whole world knows we've put the fight to Lamont Peterson, it's up to him to take it."
The Bolton boxer is confident he would come out on top in rematch, adding: "I think the fight took a lot out of him. He put in a tough performance but in my eyes I won the fight. I'll be more than ready for him."