Haye considers options

Hayemaker and Klitschkos considering other options

Last Updated: 23/06/09 6:55pm

  • Share:
Showdown: Klitschkos v Haye

Showdown: Klitschkos v Haye

Sky Bet

David Haye is considering other options to fight in September in case he fails to secure a bout with either of the Klitschko brothers.

"I would like to fight Haye and right now we are talking to Nicolay Valuev, Chris Arreola and Haye. Let's see where we can get a good result. I would like to fight all three and all three would have interest worldwide."
Vitali Klitschko Quotes of the week

Haye was forced to pull out of his eagerly-anticipated heavyweight title showdown with Wladimir Klitschko due to a back injury - and that could have cost him a shot with either brother.

The Ukrainian was unimpressed with Haye's behaviour in the build-up and the way he pulled out, and stand-in Ruslan Chagaev took the brunt after being on the wrong end of a nine-round beating in Germany.

Haye insists he is fit to fight in September or October and says he will face either Klitschko, but Wladimir voiced his frustration after the Chagaev win by blasting Haye as "unprofessional" and told him to "get in line" for a title shot.

The IBF, WBO and IBO champion now looks set to fight Russian Alexander Povetkin next, saying: "I was ready for Alexander Povetkin, but he pulled out with his injury last year, but I would like to give him a chance again."

Options

'The Hayemaker' and his management are talking now with Vitali about a September showdown, but the WBC champion is also talking to a couple of other possible challengers.

"I would like to fight Haye and right now we are talking to Nicolay Valuev, Chris Arreola and Haye," said Vitali.

"Let's see where we can get a good result. I would like to fight all three and all three would have interest worldwide."

Giant Russian WBA champion Valuev would literally be the biggest clash and would give the Klitschkos another belt between them should either emerge victorious, while unbeaten Californian Arreola would prove popular with the American audience.

With 28-year-old Haye now wondering if he will get his chance at either brother, his manager Adam Booth is also looking at other options.

Opponents

"We are looking at the options and I have a few opponents in my mind. Where he fights next depends upon who he fights," said Booth.

"They always negotiate on multiple terms. September 12 has been spoken about against Vitali.

"But we are not going to sit around and wait for them. I'm looking at other options and we always have done.

"If the Vitali fight comes up, we will do that. Right now we are getting David fit to box again for September or October.

"We have sent medical documents to the Klitschkos saying David is fit to box from the end of July, so they are not waiting on anything from us."

  • Share:

Related

Most Popular

Features

GGGive Murray a go

GGGive Murray a go

Tony Bellew and Jamie Moore told Second Shout that Martin Murray can give Gennady Golokin a test.

Good Week/Bad Week

Good Week/Bad Week

So much can change in a sporting week and, sure enough, there have been plenty of highs and lows.

Heavyweight Hopes

Heavyweight Hopes

We will get up, close and personal with him in Anthony Joshua Heavyweight Hopes, soon.