Wladimir Klitschko forced to delay heavyweight title defence against Kubrat Pulev

Last Updated: 26/08/14 2:09pm

  • Share:
Wladimir Klitschko: Must wait for his latest title defence

Wladimir Klitschko: Must wait for his latest title defence

Sky Bet

Wladimir Klitschko has been forced to delay his heavyweight title defence against Kubrat Pulev because of injury.

The 38-year-old Ukrainian was due to put his three belts on the line against the unbeaten Bulgarian in Hamburg on September 6.

Glory Road, Manchester

Tickets for Glory Road in Manchester now available from £30 with no booking fees. See Quigg vs. Ambunda and Crolla vs. Diaz - plus a host of other matches!

Click here to buy tickets

But a bicep injury has hampered his preparations and he decided to reschedule the bout, with a new date expected to be announced in the coming weeks. 

Klitschko confirmed the news in a statement and the problem is expected to prevent him from training for four weeks. 

"I am very disappointed the fight will not go ahead," he said. "I am in top form and had a great training camp."

The long-reigning champion has not suffered a defeat for over 10 years and had been sparring Londoner Anthony Joshua in the build-up to his latest defence.

Pulev secured his spot as mandatory challenger after defeating former Klitschko foe Tony Thompson last August.

  • Share:

Related

Most Popular

Features

Beagrie: Vardy deserves cap

Beagrie: Vardy deserves cap

An England call-up would be rich reward for all of Jamie Vardy's hard work, says Peter Beagrie.

On Ringside...

On Ringside...

Paul Smith and James DeGale talk world titles, plus we look ahead to Nathan Cleverly-Tony Bellew II.

On FL72 Review...

On FL72 Review...

Peter Beagrie discusses the midweek Football League results and reviews the season so far.