Wladimir Klitschko will defend his heavyweight titles against Kubrat Pulev

Last Updated: 19/06/14 3:44pm

  • Share:
Wladimir Klitschko: Will defend his titles against Kubrat Pulev in September

Wladimir Klitschko: Will defend his titles against Kubrat Pulev in September

Sky Bet

Wladimir Klitschko will defend his world heavyweight titles against Kubrat Pulev on September 6, the Ukrainian announced on Thursday.

Pulev will travel to Germany to face the 38-year-old at the o2 World Arena in Hamburg with Klitschko’s WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO heavyweight belts on the line.

The Bulgarian is the IBF’s mandatory challenger and is undefeated in 20 fights, with 11 of his wins coming by way of knockout.

A statement from Klitschko on his official website read: “I will be fighting IBF mandatory Kubrat Pulev on September 6th in the o2 World Hamburg, Germany.

“The Cobra is a challenge for me with his record of 20 wins (11 by KO) and no losses. Last year he clearly won his fight against my former opponent Tony Thompson on points.

“So there is definitely no reason to underestimate him. I am looking forward to this challenge and can’t wait to start my training camp to prepare for the next step of my mission.”

Both fighters won on their last outings with Klitschko beating Australian Alex Leapai inside five rounds while Pulev stopped Croatia’s Ivica Perkovic after three.

The winner of the all-British heavyweight clash between Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury will look on with interest with the victor set to be installed as the WBO’s mandatory challenger for the title.

  • Share:

Related

Most Popular

Features

Neville blames Toon signings

Neville blames Toon signings

Gary Neville says Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is suffering for failing to sign enough experience.

Ronaldo return 'two years off'

Ronaldo return 'two years off'

Cristiano Ronaldo's dream return to Manchester United is unlikely to happen in the next 12 months, says Guillem Balague.

Carragher questions Mignolet

Carragher questions Mignolet

Jamie Carragher says Liverpool may need to look for another goalkeeper if Simon Mignolet fails to improve.