Khan to face Garcia after long training schedule
By Nick Parkinson. Last Updated: July 6, 2012 9:21am
Amir Khan insists there is no chance of burnout for his first fight this year despite an extended training camp for Danny Garcia on July 14.
The former WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion tries to get his hands on another world title when he takes on unbeaten WBC king Garcia in Las Vegas, live on Sky Sports.
Khan, 25, will enter the ring against the American after the longest training camp of his career.
The Bolton boxer only had a brief break after his May 19 rematch with Lamont Peterson was scrapped at short notice due to the American testing positive for drugs.
But Khan, who lost his IBF and WBA titles to Peterson on points in December, has put his faith in new strength and conditioning coach Ruben Tabares, who has previously worked with David Haye.
"I started training for the Peterson fight at the end of February so it will be a long camp come fight night against Garcia," Khan told Punchlines from Los Angeles.
"I've had an 18/19 week training camp by the time of the fight, but there's no chance of burn out.
"It's given me a lot of time to work on new things. I've paced myself and not over-trained. It's going perfectly really.
"We do everything right. We have balanced the training quite well and not gone too hard and nor is it be too easy.
"I've had an 18/19 week training camp by the time of the fight, but there's no chance of burn out. It's given me a lot of time to work on new things. I've paced myself and not over-trained. It's going perfectly really."
Amir Khan Quotes of the week
"I always have an intense training camp but it's a bit different this time because I've changed conditioning coach to Ruben Tabares.
"Ruben is making me work harder and it's been a new challenge this training camp which has kept me fresh.
"For the Peterson fight, I had been away from home, travelled all over the world and then it gets called off a week before the fight. I was upset and I needed a fight to get it out of my system so I am just glad I have got this fight."
Khan is also still willing to fight Peterson, who beat him on a controversial split points decision in December only to then test positive for taking the banned substance synthetic testosterone while training for the fight against the Briton.
"Things happen for a reason and it's good to know Lamont Peterson was on something in our first fight and then got caught and now admits it," Khan told Punchlines.
"But I would 100 per cent consider fighting him again. Even when it got called off I wanted to fight him but then he started to lie and I thought I don't have to give this guy a chance.
"Maybe in the future we could fight again if he is not banned for life, and I hope he does get a ban of some sort.
"I would love to set the record straight against him after he took away my titles, but I will take on fight at a time and leave it to my promoter to sort it out.
"I know that even if he was on substances I would still have beaten him because that is how hard I trained to fight him on May 19.
"We need to clamp down on drugs in boxing and hopefully all boxers will agree to random testing now."
Khan, who threw the ceremonial first pitch before the Major League Baseball game between the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers at the weekend, could get to fight for his old WBA light-welterweight belt on July 14 as well after his promoter Golden Boy claimed Peterson had been stripped of the world title.
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer claims he has had verbal confirmation from the WBA that Khan will be fighting for their world title in Las Vegas.
"I'm glad that both titles will be on the line now and it makes our fight even bigger," added Khan.
Unbeaten giant Tyson Fury, who fights again this Saturday, has no desire to box the winner of David Haye against Dereck Chisora.
Fury picks Haye to win the controversial clash between his two rival British heavyweights at Upton Park on July 14 - but insists the former world heavyweight champion would give him no problems.
The 6ft 9in Morecambe heavyweight is on a five-fight mission to get to the world champions Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, of Ukraine, and says Haye and Chisora are not on his wish list.
Fury, who faces 38-year-old American Vinny Maddalone in Somerset on Saturday, fancies Haye to out-point Chisora in the bout which the British Boxing Board of Control opposes.
He said: "Chisora has a decent chance. It depends whether Haye comes for a fight or not. I probably see David Haye winning on points.
"They're not really on my radar those two. I reckon I'd stop Haye quite comfortably anyway. I'm just too big for him.
"He's a good, fast heavyweight, but a big heavyweight who comes forward and throws hard shots will always beat a small one who runs away. I think I'd take him out quite easily anyway."
Ricky Burns is hoping to set up training camp in Las Vegas in the next two weeks as he begins preparation for the second defence of his WBO world lightweight title against Kevin Mitchell.
The Scot has never trained in Vegas for a fight and usually prepares in Glasgow, but he is willing to go Stateside for the quality of sparring ahead of his date with Londoner Mitchell at the SECC in Glasgow.
Burns, 29, and Mitchell, 27, sparred with each other last year but the champion is not reading too much into those sessions and is expecting the best from his challenger, who has two victories since being destroyed by Aussie Michael Katsidis in May 2010.
"I've spoken to my team and I'm hoping to go to Vegas soon," Burns told Punchlines. "There are a few gyms out there I could use and decent sparring.
"I'm expecting to fight the best Kevin Mitchell because his troubles are all in the past as he showed by beating John Murray so well.
"I don't know how Kevin will try to fight me but I will be ready to box him or I can go forward. I'm going to prepare for a 12 round war.
"We've sparred with each other before he fought John Murray and before I fought Nicky Cook last year, but it means nothing. Sparring is sparring and fighting is fighting, they are totally different.
"We are the two best lightweights in the Britain and if need be I will be ready to box or fight on the front foot."
Once Burns gets back from his trip to Vegas, he will resume his Saturday shift at a sports shop in his home town of Coatbridge.
"I'm still working there at weekends and will do until a week before the fight," Burns told Punchlines. "It's something to do and breaks up the week. Most of my shifts these days are spent signing autographs and having my picture taken though."
Promoter Frank Warren is trying to get extra seating fitted to the Glasgow venue to boost the capacity from 8,000 to 10,000.
Wladimir Klitschko, 36, defends his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles against Tony Thompson after admitting he wished he was boxing someone else in Switzerland on Saturday.
The world heavyweight No 1 stopped American Thompson in 2008 but must face the IBF mandatory challenger next. "I would rather fight someone that I haven't fought," he said. "But I have no choice, I have to defend my titles."