The Cleveland Cavaliers selected University of Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins with the first overall selection of the NBA Draft on Thursday night.
The 19-year-old Canadian, who can play as a guard or small forward, was one of four non-US players to be selected in the top eight picks.
The Cavaliers had the top pick in the Draft last year, which they also used on a Canadian player – forward Anthony Bennett.
Wiggins was the consensus top high school prospect a year ago and went on to average 17.1 points and 5.9 rebounds during his freshman year at Kansas.
Forward Jabari Parker of Duke University was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks with the second overall pick, with the Philadelphia 76ers’ selection of centre Joel Embiid meaning two Kansas players were selected in the top three.
Power forward Aaron Gordon of the University of Arizona was selected fourth by the Orlando Magic, while the Utah Jazz picked Australian guard Dante Exum with the fifth overall pick.
The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers, two teams not accustomed to having such high selections, picked point guard Marcus Smart and power forward Julius Randle respectively with the next two picks.
NBA Draft, first round:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers: Andrew Wiggins (G/F, Kansas)
2. Milwaukee Bucks: Jabari Parker (F, Duke)
3. Philadelphia 76ers: Joel Embiid (C, Kansas)
4. Orlando Magic: Aaron Gordon (F, Arizona)
5. Utah Jazz: Dante Exum (G, Australia)
6. Boston Celtics: Marcus Smart (G, Oklahoma State)
7. Los Angeles Lakers: Julius Randle (F, Kentucky)
8. Sacramento Kings: Nik Stauskas (G, Michigan)
9. Charlotte Hornets: Noah Vonleh (F, Indiana)
10. Philadelphia 76ers: Elfrid Payton (G, Louisiana-Lafayette)
11. Denver Nuggets, Doug McDermott (F, Creighton)
12. Orlando Magic: Dario Saric (F, Cibona-Zagreb)
13. Minnesota Timberwolves: Zach LaVine (G, UCLA)
14. Phoenix Suns: TJ Warren (F, North Carolina State)
15. Atlanta Hawks: Adreian Payne (F, Michigan State)
16. Chicago Bulls: Jusuf Nurkic (C, Cedevita Zagreb)
17. Boston Celtics: James Young (G, Kentucky)
18. Phoenix Suns: Tyler Ennis (G, Syracuse)
19. Chicago Bulls: Gary Harris (G, Michigan State)
20. Toronto Raptors: Bruno Caboclo (F, EC Pinheiros)
21. Oklahoma City Thunder: Mitch McGary (F, Michigan)
22. Memphis Grizzlies: Jordan Adams (G, UCLA)
23. Utah Jazz: Rodney Hood (G, Duke)
24. Charlotte Hornets: Shabazz Napier (G, Connecticut)
25. Houston Rockets: Clint Capela (F, Chorale Roanne)
26. Miami Heat: PJ Hairston (G, Texas Legends)
27. Phoenix Suns: Bogdan Bogdanovic (G, Partizan Belgrade)
28. Los Angeles Clippers: CJ Wilcox (G, Washington)
29. Oklahoma City Thunder: Josh Huestis (F, Stanford)
30. San Antonio Spurs: Kyle Anderson (F, UCLA)