NFL news: San Diego Chargers sign Dwight Freeney on two-year deal
By Paul Higham Twitter: @SkySportsPaulH. Last Updated: 19/05/13 10:10pm
Dwight Freeney: Signs deal with San Diego
Seven-time Pro Bowler Dwight Freeney has agreed on a two-year deal to join the San Diego Chargers, after leaving the Indianapolis Colts.
The veteran defensive end spent 11 seasons with the Colts, recording 107.5 sacks during that spell and although made just five last year he can still put pressure on opposing quarterbacks.
The deal with the Chargers is reported to be worth around $8.75 million with extra add-ons most likely tied in to appearances and sacks.
33-year-old Freeney was attracting interest from as many as five NFL teams, but the Chargers are in need of a pass rusher after losing linebacker Melvin Ingram to a torn cruciate ligament last week.
On Sky Sports
- January 1, 1970 1:00am
Although he's a veteran, Freeney is at least a known quantity and San Diego head coach Mike McCoy knows exactly what he will be getting out of the deal.
"It's great to add a solid veteran who brings valuable experience to our defence," said McCoy. "His proven pass-rush ability is a perfect fit for our defence."
A worry will be that Freeney struggled somewhat when switching to linebacker in the Colts' 3-4 defence last year - and that same scheme is also used in San Diego.
Freeney is a former defensive Player of the Year though, and a Super Bowl winner, and that wealth of experience will only help as the Chargers look to bounce back from a disappointing seasons.
It is thought Freeney opted for San Diego partly due to quarterback Philips Rivers being one of the better triggermen and being able to put the Chargers in some leads, and he believes he is joining a team ready to challenge.
"Very excited to be a part of the San Diego Chargers organization," Freeney said on Twitter. "I'm ready to help bring a championship to SD."